Monday, February 9, 2015

Beginning Martial Science

In the beginning of teaching children it is good to lay a strong foundation. On top of that one just account for the limited attention span children have and finding the balance in the having fun and learning the harsh truths of fighting. While doing that one must not forget all the other great things martial science can teach.

I started mine with a basic combo, boxing's one two followed my a front two knuckle punch to the solar plexus, a half moon step with the rear foot, hammer strike to the groin, ending with a back fist with the same hand. I drill this with her right leed and left leed. Then I turn around and drill evasion of that combo.

 I chose this combination  not because of its tactical validity but because it develops many of the basic skills needed to progress. I train her in blocking the same for the same reason. Most who know me know I do not utilize a passive blocking system and may wonder why I am teaching her to passively block that one combo. To me right now it is about teaching her basic motor skills as opposed to what is tactically sound, although there is a notable trade off with those two aspects.

The approach I choose with new students is not to bombard them with a bunch of new data but to play off their natural skills and coordination. I show her a combo tell her to mimic it, then I point out one or two things that could be better with her form. When she had become more adept at the points I tell her then I point out one or two more, I feel this teaches her brain to use thought paths that already exist as much as possible therefore accelerating her learning. I personally feel that the traditional approach insisting a specific and complicated form overwhelms the mind causing it to create a whole new thought path, one that has little "connectivity" in sending that signal to perform that movement. This results in lower reaction time and faulty movements.

I believe that it is one reason many high ranking martial artists have been defeated in a real fight. Some may disagree with me under the logic that it is better to practice the "right" way rather than the wrong way. I would say you might be right, suggest that each student might learn better under my approach and another might learn faster under a different one. Which is one reason why I see fighting as martial science. I propose the use of a flow chart to find what, how and why, each maneuver, technique and method of study works for different situations, and students.

What really matters regardless of what approach you like is this, "are you doing it?" Are you making sure your child can protect themselves if and when you aren't there?


























No comments:

Post a Comment